PyWeek 30 challenge: “Castaway”
- castaway-master.zip — So last night when I added pillow to the requirements list (second final entry), would anyone like to have a guess at if I added it to git (and therefore it would have been in the third final entry) or just downloaded the zip and put it in locally...
- castaway-master.zip — Add the final changes from git, including (hopefully) some stylistic fixes. Good luck ClicksMinutePer, this is all we've got
- castaway.zip — And after all that I nearly forgot to add a requirement
- castaway.zip — The final game, gosh we almost didn't finish on time. So pleased for the extra productive day that comes right before a deadline
We renamed our team
> Thanks for looking at our page, and may the best team win, and may we come second!> Good luck 🎉
- gfsk_1_0.zip — Goatforsaken 1.0
As an added bonus, can you figure out what the shape of the island is?
- Loast_Coast.zip — This is a game we created as a little joke for the Discord server that we run among our friends, also named 'Loast Coast'. The game is simple, use WASD to get from the centre of the map, to one of the two boats on the coast.
- casted_away.zip — Final Submission
git clone https://github.com/0Nikola0/Casted-Away
Install requirements (in virtualenv if you like)
pip install -r requirements.txt
python -m virtualenv venv
pip install -r requirements.txt
- Gaston_the_Castaway_Gator.py — https://github.com/MonsterReporter/Gaston-the-Castaway-Gator
- The_Purrtectors.zip — Fight as a cats with weapons and special abilites
You play as a house cat suddenly thrown out of his home. Stranded in an alley all alone, he must now fight his way through a hoard of cat-haters or die.
You meet three more cats in the next level. You can control each of these cats and switch between them.
Each cat has a set of special abilities
Shoot single bullets
Sneak kill when invisible and near an enemy
Shoot single bullets
Heal a selected cat
Shoot multiple rounds of bullets
Has more health
All cats can scratch to hurt enemies from a short distance
- cast_X_space_v1.1.zip — The final submission for our team of Cast X Space! Check README for more information!
A bunch of amateur programmers doing our first PyWeek!
Here's are entry to PyWeek 30, A Castaway, into Space [Cast x Space] game!
- spider-island.zip — Final ZIP file of the game
- the-casta-way.zip — The Casta Way Final Entry
- MASA-01-cast_away_robot-1.2.1-src.zip — the final source file
- SOURCE which is runnable but requires a pip install to get going
- WIN which is the windows executable, unzip and run the exe inside
- thelostgoat.zip — thelostgoat.zip with small edits and how to run the file
- thelostgoat.zip — The lost goat.zip with win and lose screens
- unhabited.zip — Uninhabited zipped, working now
- uninhabited.zip — A not very final version of the game but there isn't a lot of time
There is a little issue on Linux, since it is case sensitive, so here are the steps to fix it: (as suggessted by @patryk.tech)
chmod +x assets/fonts/ mv -iv assets/fonts/Noto_Sans_JP/NotoSansJP-Medium.otf assets/fonts/Noto_Sans_JP/NotoSansJp-Medium.otf mv -iv assets/cpu.png assets/CPU.png mv -iv assets/keyboard\ and\ mouse.png assets/Keyboard\ and\ mouse.png mv -iv assets/motherboard.png assets/Motherboard.png mv -iv assets/phone\ battery.png assets/Phone\ Battery.png mv -iv assets/wifi\ card.png assets/Wifi\ Card.png mv -iv assets/scientific\ calculator.png assets/Scientific\ Calculator.png mv -iv questions/Keyboard\ and\ Mouse questions/Keyboard\ and\ mouse
- throwaways-source.zip — Final submission
A small survival game with the theme Castaway.
All artwork is made using Aseprite.
Running the game :
You can use pipenv to run the game with the following commands:
pipenv install pipenv run game
Alternatively, you can run pip inside a virtual environment of your choice to install the dependencies:
pip install -r requirements.txt python run_game.py
W, A, S, D - to move
Left Mouse Button - to do primary action
Right Mouse Button - to do secondary action
E - to destroy trees and stone
Oar Tool - Primary to steer the ship, Secondary to slow down the ship
Build Tool - Primary to add blocks, Secondary to remove
Ship Tool - Primary to add ship blocks, Secondary to remove
Adrift on the ocean, you find yourself among a mysterious archipelago of small islands. Fortunately your boat still works, but you'll soon discover that leaving this place is not as easy as it seems.
Escape the Room style puzzle game, inspired by that classic genre of Flash games, particularly Archipelago and The Dark Room by Jonathan May. If you've played these games, you know there's a good chance of becoming hopelessly stuck. See the README for how to access hints.
Some clues are given through sound effects. It's possible to complete the game without sound, but it will be more difficult. You need to distinguish the colors red, blue, yellow, white, and black for one puzzle. See the README for instructions on changing them if needed.
v1 and v2 have identical gameplay, so feel free to rate either one. However, the autosave/autoload feature is broken in v1. The game's not that long so it shouldn't be a problem unless it crashes on you, but if you want to be able to pick up where you stopped, use v2.
Controls with keyboard. Requires PyGame and PyOpenGL. If you get a syntax error on Python3.7+, see here for a fix.
- Islanders-0.1.1-beta.zip — Unzip and follow the instructions in "installation.txt" to run.
Lead by Maple Maelstrom
This is a private team that is made by and for Canadians.
I am Maple Maelstrom, leader of team Maple. I am 17 years old. I have coded since grade 5, but only started using python last year for my grade 11 computer science course. There I created my first game that was 100% my own, using pygame. Since then, I have loved the python coding language.
Islanders is a randomized puzzle based speedrun game, where you must collect 4 randomly generated trees, craft them into a boat, and sail off the dock. Caves can be used to travel faster, and there is a timer that records how long you took. Compete against friends, or against yourself, to try and be the fastest at beating this game!
Timmy loved his overalls. Timmy loved them so much that he spent a lot of money on them, and it all took a turn for the worst when Timmy's family started getting angry. They would take his money to make him spend less on overalls, but it just made him spend less on food. So to teach him a lesson, they left him out at sea with just him and his overalls. Will Timmy be able to escape the island, and go back home to his overalls? Or will he starve to death on this island? Let's find out.
A tower defense game where you have to keep yourself alive trapped in cyberspace.
Backstory:In the year 2021, There was a freak accident at the hadron collider research facility In Bern, Switzerland. Millions of dollars of research equipment were vaporized, along with several tragic deaths. In the following months, a series of odd and disturbing events at the facility caused ripples of alarm through NATO security group. Security experts believed at first that Russian internet forces had hacked into the system, causing the damage.
High level facility personnel began receiving emails over secure channels. Many using the credentials of the workers who were killed. Suspecting a malware attack cyber security experts began deploying electronic countermeasures, including a series of anti-virus packets.
The emails continued to arrive, with cryptic and impossible messages. Slowly a small group of individuals began to believe that their fallen colleagues were not dead. They were lost... lost in cyberspace.
- castaway_v1.zip — windows build
Are you alone?
How to run on Windows:
Extract the zip file and double click castaway.bat.
If doesn't work, you can open log.txt to see of there are any errors or try the alternative method below.
How to run on Linux by running the non-packaged version:
Requires Python 3.7 or higher and ursina.
1) Install the most recent version of ursina with "pip install https://github.com/pokepetter/ursina/archive/master.zip"
2) Clone or download the game's repo with "git clone https://github.com/pokepetter/pyweek_30_castaway.git --depth=1"
3) Move into the game's directory and run main.py with "python main.py"
If you get stuck inside geometry:
Press Ctrl+R to reset the player position.
- TheAcolyte.zip — An acolyte wizard castaway in a dungeon
Cast spells - click
- Space_Savior_PYTHON_2.zip — Space Savior [PYTHON 2 VERSION]
- Space_Savior_PYHTON_3.zip — Space Savior [PYTHON 3 VERSION]
- SoulTown_v.1FIXED_FILES.zip — Fixed
- Marooned_v1.2-final.zip — Fixed Linux compatibility
- Marooned_v1.1-final.zip — v1.1: Bug fix
- Marooned_v1.0-final.zip — Marooned! v1.0-final
If you need help or have questions/feedback, please @mention @Gaming32#6509 in the PyWeek Discord channel.
- goataway.zip — the game
speedlimit35's pyweek30 Theme: castaway (+ goats)
must have python3 and pygame to run
To play game: python3 main.py
press space to interact
HOLD arrow keys to move
and don't move in another direction when on the edge
Glitches to watch out for when playing -might have to press space multiple times when trying to interact with goats (or other things) -if you walk on the edge of the wall and cross the borders, you will be teleported some where really far away and the player glitches out. If this happens, you will have to restart the game.
music by me art by me code by me
goat sound effects by Mike Koenig and Blastwavefx.com
- cast_a_knife.zip — Cast a Knife - The final game
Please play on the github version rather than the zip version, to get the proper experience.
While you are wandering around the small land in the middle of the ocean, you spot a dead monk laying on the ground,
with a knife sticking in his chest.
Strong as you are, you walk up to him and pull it out, but then huge flies start appearing all around you,
and you have to fight them, to in the end get the trophy you deserve.
How to play the game:
>>>'git clone https://github.com/bottleInALightning/pyWeek30.git'
- Dark_Land.zip — Though I thought I would work in a team but ended up doing all alone. I spent 2hrs daily to create this small game. You can consider this as my first game and i am quite happy that atleast I have completed it. In future games I would use oops also.
Hello there, It seems like pyweek would be fun thats why I as an Individual joining it and would create a simple and small game as this would be my first game. I would first learn a game developing python library in order to get started. Hope this would fun tournament and I will end creating something.
- PyWeek.zip — Game Files
The Grape Island. in there you will need to grow grapes to survive.
With your trusty shovel and funnel, nothing stands between you, and the grapes.
- island_rescue_v1.0.1.zip — Island Rescue - Final
Avoid clouds and birds.
Pick up humans by flying over them. A maximum of two humans can be transported. Bring them to the landing zone of the helicopter.
Clouds reduce your energy levels. Once they reach 0, the game is over and you lose.
Crashing into birds reduce your hitpoints. Once they reach 0, the game is over and you lose.
Save all 50 humans to win.
Energy is recharged using the solar panels on the helicopter when not flying below clouds.
Hitpoints are regenerated if you are at the landing zone of the helicopter.
Boosting your speed requires an extra amount of energy.
A - Turn left
D - Turn right
W - Move forward
Holding SPACE while pressing W - Turbo speed (beware, this drains your energy levels)
Quitting the game - ESC
- PyWeek-30-Fixed.zip — Fixed my grammar and some code changes, thanks for Tucan444 for pointing them out
- obbo-1.0.0-built.zip — Source distribution with pre-built assets
until one day a meteor struck obbo's face.
Luckily equipped with a fishing pole,
and with safe return a clear goal,
goes fishing for asteroids to fix up the place."
With love by:
sour patch bullet
The amazing panda3d community and its offtopic discord server
lordmauve for organizing a terrific challenge
Schwarzbaer for help with brainstorming.
Sorny for helping with references.
Disclaimer for macOS users:
Unfortunately our custom cursor isn't displayed on macOS.
Also, if you're experiencing problems with the controls, set the "confine-mouse" variable
in the settings.prc file to "false" (The binary version for macOS already has this
variable set to "false").
- marooned_pyweek30_v1.1.zip — Source Version, final upload (fixed broken save system)
- marooned_pyweek30.zip — Source Version, first upload
The Animalia is forced to self-destruct after one of it's more dangerous specimens gets loose: you manage to eject from the ship before it explodes, but find yourself marooned in a nearby asteroid field. As a castaway on a strange asteroid, you'll need to make good use of the debris you can find around you to survive and get you escape pod space-worthy again. Watch out however, as you may not be alone ...
- Requires pygame, numpy and PyOpenGL.
- I didn't get time to implement a proper save game feature: in lieu of this I've set the game up so that if you die you will return back at the starting location but you keep any of the items you have collected up to that point.
- Encukou picked up on a potentially-game crashing bug: see https://pyweek.org/d/7150/#14312 for a fix if you have issues (happens sometimes when just missing a platform jump)
Game Playthrough: https://youtu.be/bY_qMk63ET8
Game Soundtrack: https://soundcloud.com/user-349094787/marooned
- mufl-castaway.zip — The game!
It turns out you can cast so many different things!
I decided to make a minigame each for a few things you can cast. Give the player options, and let them cast away!
For even more theme, the game takes place on an island with the protagonist as a castaway.
Cast for fish
One obvious thing you can "cast" on an abandoned island is a fishing line. Here, it's a way to get food (needed for each action), and small amounts of other resources.
- SPACE / ENTER to select/advance/confirm
- ESC / BACKSPACE to cancel/exit/undo
- ARROWS to move (fishing, shadow)
- NUMBERS to select (main menu, dice, iron, shadow)
- LETTERS to select (shadow, item castaway)
- Citadel_Spire.zip — Source distribution
All of the art/assets were created during the week using the following tools:
- Aseprite (base sprites and animation)
- GIMP (Final texture atlas)
- Tiled (Mapping)
within the folder containing main.py
python -m http.server
You can then open any browser to run it. (http://localhost:8000/)
I developed it using firefox. I tested it on a low-power chromebook. It should run just about anywhere.
The game itself is a non-combat adventure game, but with the ability to die if you get hit too much.
You are a prisoner cast away to an island where there is a mysterious temple. Your goal will be to escape.
- LonelyTimmy.zip — LonelyTimmy - The final version
- alasala.zip — Just readme was changed, so users are pointed to a public deployment.
- alasala.zip — Submission!
Our heroes find themselves scattered across a tropical island. They are beset by mirages that want them to stay forever. Will they be able to make it deep into the heart of the evil forest and unravel the spell that binds the island?.
Search the beach a few times to get your first heroes. Go to the next stage to progress. See the diary to follow the story you have unlocked.
The combat is a 5v5 battle with no user input. The role of strategy is in assembling the team. You want to build a good general team, but as the stages get harder you also need to customize it to counter the specific enemies in the next stage. Check out the abilities of each hero to better understand how they can work together. Decide which ones to level up, and try to reach the heart of the island in as few days as you can!
A few things we should have explained better in game:
- Loyalty: Much like HP in most games. Except that when it reaches zero, the character is not removed from combat. Instead they are now fighting on the opponent's side. It's possible for a character to switch sides multiple sides in a fight. Combat ends after 2 minutes or when everyone is on the same side.
- Influence: Attack power. All abilities and attacks scale with the character's influence. Leveling up will increase it.
- Inspiration: The little stars that appear above their heads. Different heroes gain inspiration through different methods. 3 Inspiration points are used to cast their ultimate abilities.
- Weight: No gameplay effect. The whole physical simulation has no role in the battle and is just part of the visualization. When you replay a battle, the visualization may end up slightly different, but the results will be the same. Go back to the map and retry the stage to try your luck again.
Let us know if you have any other questions!
Alone in the sea - castaway surviving
You are trapped in the center of the ocean because of a ship wreck. Find ways to reach for help!
An Easter egg can be found on the top right island :D
- Game length: 20min
- Walkthrough video: Youtube walkthrough
The same set of instructions is also in game, you can check it by clicking the bottom right question mark.
Clicking on the question mark will pause the game, a very detailed instruction for the current objective can also be viewed by pressing [M]
- [M] for map and additional hints for the objective
- [C] for crafting, left click on a workbench for advanced crafting
- [P] to open backpack, you can left click to move items
- [A][W][S][D] to move your character
- [B] to start building the raft, you can only build raft while you are on it
- Left click on plants to harvest them
- Left click the furnace with iron ore will get you iron
- Left click while holding food will eat the food, while holding sapling or melon seed will plant it, while holding workbench, bucket, soil or furnace will place it.
- Left click the objects on islands will collect it, for some objects you will need to hold a specific tool to collect them.
- You lose the game when hunger or water reaches 0, the hunger and water bar are set to diminish at a very slow speed to give extra time for the player to get used to the controls.