September 2023 challenge: “Dark matter”
- FinalEntry.zip — Final Game
You are in space looking into the asteroids for dark matter, high value material, suddenly you are attacked by space ships. Survive and collect the dark matter and buy better ships.
Game PlayGo to YouTube
Python version 3.10.4
Pyxel version 1.9.18
The game was only tested on these versions
How to run
Install all the dependencies from `requirements.txt`
pip install -r requirements.txt
To run the game use:
You can also play it in the browser
How to Play
• Move with the `UP`, `DOWN`, `LEFT` and `RIGHT` arrows
• Press `A` key to select and shoot
• Press `Z` key to go back in the menus
• Hold `S` and `X` at the same time to self-destruct
• Press `F4` to quit
• Press `ALT` + `ENTER` to toggle full screen
• When an enemy is destroyed it will span either health, shield or dark matter
All the assets were made by me, using the Pyxels Image and Sound Editors. Highly inspired by the spaceships of Space Invaders, Star Wars, Star Trek, batman, Futurama and Dune.
Thanks for Playing
- dark_physics_pyweek36_v1.zip — Final Game (Initial upload)
Requires: Pygame (tested on Pygame 2.5)
Game Playing Notes:
- Only controls are to point and click with the mouse
- May or may not be based on the past real life experiences of a certain PyWeeker who used to be an Astrophysicist :P
- Dark_matter_keeper-v1.0-FINAL.zip — FINAL game entry
- Dark_matter_keeper-v1.0-FINAL.tar.gz — FINAL game entry
In a universe powered by DARK MATTER...
Welcome to another bullet hell.
You are a grizzled space marine. Thought you could retire, eh? Well, no profit brooding over this dark matter. Once a grizzled space marine always a grizzled space marine. Embrace the suck. Separated from your fighter squad during a dangerous mission, you must get out of enemy territory with all your assets still intact. Against overwhelming odds - naturally - wherever you find yourself, make it to the exit portal. May you live to boast about it beside the quaint retro diesel fire back at the cantina. We would disavow all knowledge, but what's the point? One glance makes it obvious...you're Marine. Move out!
P.S. - There are seven levels of HELLLL. About 45 seconds each. See readme for tips, cheats, and debugs. Gluk, soldier!
- pyweek-36-chinkaraoshiman-1.0.3.zip — file name bug fix for linux
- pyweek-36-chinkaraoshiman-1.0.2.zip — bug fix (previous ones don't work)
This game is about breeding rats until there are 8 billion of them. There is a breeding mode and a platformer mode. You can move player using arrow keys. Gameplay is clicking buttons. Known bug is when you are on windows and click PLOT in breeding mode, the window will shrink.
```python3 main.py``` to run
click and point and arrow keys are controls
speedlimit35: art, music, code
chis: art, POET
play through : https://youtu.be/QNeElUzTY1E?si=gEfq9V0sQ9Q3nFWo
- UGP.zip — Final zip file with code and exe
dark matter to solve a series of puzzles.
/// Playing from source code ///
install requirements.txt [Only requirement is pygame/pygame-ce, which you likely alrady have]
Change directory to UGP/src in terminal
run command 'python3 main.py'
/// Playing from .EXE ///
Click play on the main.exe file, found in the res folder.
/// How to play ///
Click the dark matter around the screen to pick it up. Click again to place. Dark Matter affect the movement of ships and asteroids.
Some puzzles will require you to blow up planets with asteroids, land ships on strange moons or
even destroy the universe.
press F - to go full screen
press R - to go back to main menu
press ESCAPE - to go leave the game
/// Credits ///
preatomicprince - lead programmer
Jsteele - Art design/ junior programmer
Vaugbe - Sound design
- Ultra-Large-Scale-Structure-1.0.0_manylinux2014_x86_64.tar.gz — ULSS 1.0.0 binary for Linux (manylinux2014_x86_64)
- Ultra-Large-Scale-Structure-1.0.0_win_amd64.zip — ULSS 1.0.0 binary for Windows
The current research focus of this simulation is how dark matter, namely, the absence of dark matter would affect the formation of the Milky Way Galaxy, with a very specific focus. The simulation aims to provide a dial to turn the dark matter up or down, and watch the effect on the formation of the galaxy. The simulation makes the implicit assumption that a standard dark matter universe has persisted conveniently up until our simulation begins.
- Cult_of_the_Eclipse.zip — Cult of the Eclipse
- Dark_Matter_Search.zip — My submission, wish it was a bit more polished.
- blobbing-blob-1.0.zip — Final Submission
The cave is your playground, and it's usually peaceful.
However, recently, the cave was disturbed by an unknown entity. Now you must navigate your way through each room, avoiding blocks smeared by an otherworldly matter!
- unmatter-v1.tgz — Final entry v1
This is a top-down (Asteroids-like) space exploration game. The main challenge involves picking out black objects against a dark background. Pilot your ship around to find pieces of "unmatter". The more you discover the more tech you'll unlock.
It is highly recommended that you use the in-game feature adjust so that the main challenge is not too easy or too difficult for you. Press F9 at any time in the game.
Before judging for PyWeek, I recommend that you play at least until you've unlocked the Xazer beam and discovered two gravity wells. This is roughly where the tutorial ends, and should take 10-15 minutes. At that point you've gotten the gist of the game, so only keep playing if you're still having fun. The entire game might take 45-60 minutes to finish, and the ending is underwhelming.
How it fits the theme: the game is about finding dark objects in space that are difficult to see, very loosely inspired by real-world dark matter.
- darkmatter-game.zip — final entry
How to build and run
- all you need to do is run the run_game.py file. Should be
compatible with all Python 3.x versions
- wasd = movement
- mouse 1 = fire bullets
- mouse 2 = place dark matter block
- spacebar = evolve dark matter
What there is to see in the game
- The game is a simple top down shooter with a twist.
You can manipulate the game map! Shoot the infected
enemies to score points while placing dark matter
blocks to obstruct and kill your attackers.
- Assets Links:
- Pixel art by https://murphysdad.itch.io/
- Galactic-Harvesters-Source.zip — Final Release
Galactic Harvesters: The Canister Crusade
For those who'd rather not run the software from the source, I've uploaded separate binaries for Windows. Additionally, I've bundled the embedded-python-zip alongside the source, and provided shortcuts to launch the game with various options. Rest assured, there's no compiled code from my side. (I did not mark it final so you have to click on the title to see all files)
While instructions for running the software from source are documented in the README, I'll reiterate them here for your convenience:
Installation & Setup:
To install the necessary packages:
pip install -r requirements.txt
For Linux users:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev libopenal-dev pip install modernal==0.9.0
To launch the game:
Command Line Arguments:
--no-fullscreen: Launch the game in windowed mode. --no-audio: Mute the game audio.
Game Controls Without a Mouse:
Move: W A S D
Turn: Q E
However, I strongly recommend playing with a mouse, as it offers a vastly different and immersive experience.
If you find yourself wanting to explore all the ships but don't want to grind through the game, feel free to modify the score.txt.
Deleting it will reset the game. Enjoy!
In the year 3077,
the Milky Way Galaxy is in the midst of an energy crisis.
The primary source of energy, a rare crystalline element called "Dark Matter" is nearing depletion.
Dark Matter is primarily stored in canisters that have been scattered throughout space over centuries
due to space wars, trading routes, and exploration mishaps.
Captain Neil Starbreaker is the fearless pilot of the spacecraft "Nebula Harvester".
Neil used to be a space pirate but has since reformed after witnessing
the dire effects of the energy crisis on his home planet, Noverra.
Join Captain Starbreaker on the "Nebula Harvester" and help save the galaxy.
- DarkOdyssey.zip — Source code
Voyage through the cosmos with Captain Elroy Stargazer and crew aboard the Comet Chaser to unravel the mysteries of dark matter, all while facing formidable adversaries.
Pyglet == 2.0.9
Use the mouse to aim and rotate your spaceship.
- Game Design, Programming, Artwork: ballipilla, ele-phant-astic, pillitoka, dark knight
- Sounds: freesound.org. Individual licences are mentioned next to the specific files
- Music: Patreon Goal Reward Loops - Track10 - Layer_04.wav Track by Abstraction (http://abstractionmusic.bandcamp.com/)
This work (apart from files mentioned specifically) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- OVERworld.zip — An incomplete LOTZ based game, which was supposed to help you collect energy with the help of mystical energy based creatures, who shall help you find your destiny, and return you to your world.
You find yourself to have randomly teleported to another world. Completely shrouded in darkness, yet some light shimmers across the desolate, rocky terrain, but full of life, which is in itself strange enough. A Saint sits in front of you, who says, "In order to get out of this world, you must collect a certain amount of energy. Your heart, fate shall guide you through this journey."
Further on, you encounter mystical creatures emanating with some bluish energy. With only a feeble stone sword, you have several options to get out of this world. Either you slay or spare the creature. Use this energy you obtain, to guide you out of this world.
- Unirgata.zip — The game doesn't work at all because I didn't manage to do proper code. BTW, Ratnarchiste and AppleSly, respectively at music composition and at graphic design, have done incredible work. Please check their art in the data folder !
- down-the-drain.zip — Surely it's easier to play by going to https://langa.pl/downthedrain/ but if you really want to try it locally, unzip and run "python server.py".
- Non-traditional sensory input
The game we actually made:
- a 3D tunnel racer with a single level that runs for 2 minutes 15 seconds... can you beat it?
- all you need is a browser
Dive into a roguelike top down shooter where you fight your way through rooms full of enemies.
Can you make it through all 9 rooms to the boss and maybe even defeat him?
Current Record run: 1:50 (I will keep this updated!)
WASD to walk
LMB to shoot
RMB to dash (Dash passes through bullets without taking damage)
Q for the black hole ability
pip install -r requirements.txt
Note: You might need to specify `python3` instead. This game was developed and tested with python 3.10.
python setup.py build_apps
- dmss_source.zip — game source
- DARKMATTERSLIPSTREAM-0.1.0a0_manylinux2014_x86_64.tar.gz — linux64 binary
- DARKMATTERSLIPSTREAM-0.1.0a0_win_amd64.zip — windows binary
- dmss.zip — game of the source
- DarkMatterX-PyWeek36.zip — Game package
You are a ship stranded in enemy space and must destroy drones to charge your dark matter drive. The sectors are protected by boss ships which must be defeated before moving on to the next area.
Colliding with drones will destroy them but damage your hull. Colliding with a boss will instantly destroy you. You can engage the bosses in any order. Clear them all to win!
Launch "run_game.py" to play the game :)
Use the WSAD keys to move and mouse left-click to shoot.