September 2023 challenge: “Dark matter”
Cosmic Prowl - What my entry is
Posted by busterbeam on 2023/09/27 19:56
Dark Odyssey - Play through video
Posted by ballipilla on 2023/09/27 17:08
Dark Physics - Post-Dev Notes
Posted by mit-mit on 2023/09/27 12:06
It was a bit of a tricky week, as unfortunately life really got in the road this week and I didn't really get to start the game dev in earnest until Day 5. I also had quite a bit of trouble coming up with ideas for the theme, I think it felt a bit too similar to "In the Shadows": I ended up getting inspired by Cosmo's post here, so that was the starting idea for my game and it sort of just went from there :). I tried to keep the game play concept pretty simple as I knew I wouldn't have tonnes of time to try for something more complex, but I still had lots of fun with the story :).
Looking forward to playing everyone's games!
Lost&Found - Play in browser
Posted by Proiz92 on 2023/09/27 08:09
Dark matter - Game Play
Posted by RicBin on 2023/09/26 06:37
Game Play: https://youtu.be/TswPtey_JCE
Dark Physics - Game Playthrough Posted
Posted by mit-mit on 2023/09/25 11:05
Down The Drain - It's tubes, okay?
Posted by ambv on 2023/09/25 00:09
- this is written in PyScript, which packages Pyodide in a way that is very easy to use for new projects;
- graphics and audio bind to THREE.js, a wonderful library that makes using WebGL pretty easy;
- it runs everywhere without installation, including my iPhone;
- it easily runs at 60FPS in Firefox and at a whopping 120FPS in Chrome -- remember that all logic here is written in Python;
- it looks really nice, even if I only used the most primitive pieces of THREE.js this time.
- collision detection is a complex beast, and no algorithm is perfect;
- in space no one can hear you scream that there's actually not three but six attributes needed to position and orient an object in three dimensions;
- there are many clock domains: if you want to make your game synchronize to audio, you can't naively increment calculations in an animation frame callback, because some systems will run 60 of them per second, some 120, and some will struggle with even 30;
- THREE.js is very powerful but still easy to use, even though many examples available online for it no longer work because it moves very quickly in terms of API changes;
Dark matter - Finally Done
Posted by RicBin on 2023/09/24 23:23
Dark Matter Search - Game complete!
Posted by PyTM30 on 2023/09/24 23:17
DARKMATTERSLIPSTREAM - Diary entry for comments
Posted by zwerver on 2023/09/24 18:30