A screenshot of the menu screen.

I'll Cop Your Heart

Try to cop (steal) as many hearts as you can!
Note: All hearts copped are taken in an aromantic way.

This is a simple minigame. It requires the latest version of python (3.9), and the pygame and random modules.

I made this game solo. This is my second game jam, but my first pyweek. My goals were to actually finish the game and make something fun along the way, keeping accessibility in mind.

I also posted this on itch.io.

github.com/doodletaco/pyweek-31

Awards

Give this entry an award

Files

File Uploader Date
heart-copper-1.0.zipfinal
The final game.
doodletaco 2021/04/02 17:42
menu_screen_heart_copper.png
A screenshot of the menu screen.
doodletaco 2021/04/02 17:39

Diary Entries

Day 6: Organization.

Yesterday I took an early night, but I will still update on my progress from then.

Goals
I wanted to reorganize my code and comment it, so it was more readable. Also, I wanted to add a visual indicator every 50 points.

Progress
My code is now cleaned up and thoroughly commented. I also added a slightly lighter background to be swapped in every 50 points.

Issues
There were no issues encountered today. Cleaning up my code was not too difficult.

Screenshot
A screenshot of gameplay. The background is a shade of burgundy.

Add a comment

Day 5: Options!

Goals
After having a couple friends test my game, I was given new ideas for things to add. With anything I am adding now, my goal is to make sure everything I make adds to accessibility or fun.

Progress
Today I added toggles for the sounds and music, cleared up the goals in the README, allowed the player to exit the game by pressing the escape key, and created a button which would reset the save. I also began organizing and commenting my code. The game is just about done.

Issues
I encountered no major issues today.

Since the graphics have not changed at all, I feel sharing a screenshot would be redundant this time.

Add a comment

Day 4: Polishing Some More

Goals
My goals today were to make it so that the game could not pick the same heart twice in a row, and also tweak the colors on the character in the center. In case I finished those early, I also added some other goals, which were to add a save system and visual feedback when the player made a mistake.

Progress
A lot of these tasks were easier to implement than I expected, and I finished them all. I also added new sprites for the center character, so he would point to the activated heart. I am starting to be happy where my game is.

Issues
I did not encounter many issues in actual development. However, I am starting to realize that I am running out of meaningful features to add to this game. I can only think of a couple before adding new things either hurts accessibility and fun, or ends up being significantly more effort than the benefit I would gain. Tomorrow might be when I finish the actual game, and then work on packaging it.

Screenshot
A screenshot of gameplay. It has a circle with a green blob holding a scalpel, with hearts in all four cardinal directions. The blob points to the red heart towards the bottom.

Add a comment

Day 3: Making Art

Goals
Today's goals were to replace the placeholder art with finalized assets, and try to make it so that the same direction can't be activated twice in a row.

Progress
I did manage to create new assets and implement them into the game. However, I did not make any progress with preventing the same direction being activated twice.

Issues
Real life commitments prevented me from being able to spend as much time on the game as I wanted to today. However, I am still happy with my progress and confident that I can have a quality final product by the end of the jam.

Screenshot
A screenshot of gameplay. It has a circle with a green blob holding a scalpel, with hearts in all four cardinal directions. The right one is larger and colored red.

Add a comment

Day 2: A Day of Rough Polishing

Goals
My goal today was to add text, instructions, and a scoring system.

Progress
I met my goals, and even had time to go further. The game now has a score keeping system, where the high score is displayed on the menu. I also added text which explained how to begin the game. In addition, I added some music I found. Using Affinity Designer, I created a new menu screen, which is nicely polished.

Issues
I had two main problems today. The first was adding music, since the files I originally wanted were not compatible with pygame. However, I found some different files and managed to get them to play when they were supposed to. The second problem was I kept getting a display surface error. To fix that, I had pygame exit the file with exit(), in addition to pygame.exit()

Screenshot
A screenshot of the menu screen. It contains a high score (hearts copped), instructions to play, and the game title.

Add a comment

Day 1: Completing the MVP

Goals
My goal today was to complete the minimum viable product, so I could ensure I leave this jam with a completed game.

Progress
I did finish my goal today, and have a playable game. It is lacking major features which I will work to add tomorrow.

Challenges
I had a plan at the beginning of this jam for a more complicated game, though I struggled to make it work. I think this was because I did not practice at all with pygame beforehand. However, I managed to find a solution to something simpler, but still fun.

Screenshot
A screen with one creature surrounded by 4 squares, the one on the left colored red.

1 comment