The Cure takes place in a small village up in the mountains. You are Dr. Nick Rogers, a scientist working on a new virus designed to seek out and destroy the cold viruses. Due to a lab accident, a mutated version escaped and infected the town. You have to explore the land and find the five ingredients you need to cure this new virus.
This is a Zelda-esque overhead-style game with different enemies and locations.
Ratings (show detail)
Exploring The Woods
Main Python source. Run main.py.
Approaching the infected children.
Super zoomed out version of the overworld.
Last Day - The Cure
PyWeek, for me, is an opportunity to spend a week learning different skills from those I use at my day job. I write software for a living, but games are bit of a different breed. Getting out of my comfort zone for a week and learning how to write something new is well worth it to me. So, every year, I take off a week for one PyWeek and basically do nothing but code. It's exhausting at the end, but I haven't regretted it yet.
Honestly, I don't even care if anyone plays my game. To me, it's not about that. That said, I hope it works for people and I hope you enjoy it at least a bit :)
The Cure - One day to go!
Today was productive. The entire ending sequence is finished. A couple new enemies have been added. Random mob spawning. Some animations.
What's left is some polishing, addition of music and sound effects, the opening introduction, and maybe credits.
I'd post more screenshots, but I'm too sleepy.
Day 6? End Game, Mountains, and Magma
I wrote the ending sequence for the game today. There are actually two endings, only one of which I've (mostly) completed. But all the stuff is there to do the other one, so it should'nt be bad.
I've been going through and adding detail to the main world. It's coming along well. Spent the past few hours on the mountains and volcano.
Tomorrow, adding some more enemies to the game, finishing the ending sequence, and if time permits, beginning the opening sequence.
Plenty of time for polish. The game is pretty rock solid :)
Day 5: The Cure's Overworld
I realized part-way in that the format for the game (going from point A to point B, with mobs in the way, level to level) wasn't working out. It just wasn't fun. The story was good, and it worked, but it needed... something.
I've decided to go more with an exploration model. There's now one big overworld with different regions, where things need to be retrieved. It's not as in-depth as Zelda or anything, and will be easy enough, but there's only so much one can do in a week :)
This feels a lot better. Except for the performance problems. The game slowed down quite a bit after putting together my level. It's 150x160 tiles at 64x64 pixels a tile, and there were a few problems with that. I worked on it all last night, and finally went to bed. When I woke up, I knew exactly what needed to be done.
Fast-forward about 30 minutes and the game is super speedy! Excellent.
Planning to finish the level today, start adding some more enemies to the game, and hopefully begin work on the ending scene.
There's a couple screenshots on here, and also on my imgur gallery.
Day 2: Everything's coming up Millhouse!
I also finalized (I believe) the plot and gameplay mechanics.
This is largely going to be more about story telling than a super innovative game. Let's just get that out of the way. I think it'll be enjoyable, though. And just 3 levels, so no excuse not to finish.
I have screenshots up at http://imgur.com/a/WOEjJ. Right now, it seems more stable than PyWeek's screenshot uploading.
Day 1: Success!
This is my second PyWeek, and I learned a lot from the last one on what to do and what not to do. So far, I think I've had a pretty strong start.
My game is named "The Cure." Without going into too much of the plot, my game is about an unexpected outbreak resulting from a promising cancer cure. It's caused people to go out of their minds as they hallucinate and attack whoever wanders by. You're the scientist who worked on the new cancer drug, and it's you vs. the world now.
It's an overhead-style game, making use of variations of the First Seed Material graphics sets.
So far, I have a working game engine with camera controls, basic animation, level loading, a custom level editor, and very rough AI.
I can't believe how fast today has gone, but it's been a great start. I'm really excited for tomorrow :D
Once screenshots are unbroken on pyweek.org, I'll put something up.