Day 5: The Cure's Overworld

I've done quite a bit in the past few days, and have totally failed to blog about it.

I realized part-way in that the format for the game (going from point A to point B, with mobs in the way, level to level) wasn't working out. It just wasn't fun. The story was good, and it worked, but it needed... something.

I've decided to go more with an exploration model. There's now one big overworld with different regions, where things need to be retrieved. It's not as in-depth as Zelda or anything, and will be easy enough, but there's only so much one can do in a week :)

This feels a lot better. Except for the performance problems. The game slowed down quite a bit after putting together my level. It's 150x160 tiles at 64x64 pixels a tile, and there were a few problems with that. I worked on it all last night, and finally went to bed. When I woke up, I knew exactly what needed to be done.

Fast-forward about 30 minutes and the game is super speedy! Excellent.

Planning to finish the level today, start adding some more enemies to the game, and hopefully begin work on the ending scene.

There's a couple screenshots on here, and also on my imgur gallery.