Attacked by Bats!

Crunchy Toads

Disgruntled-Defense-Industry-Geeks that would rather be gaming.

Awards

Give this entry an award

Scores

Ratings (show detail)

Overall: 2.8
Fun: 3.1
Production: 3.0
Innovation: 2.4

6% of respondents wished to disqualify the entry.
Respondents: 30

Files

File Size Uploader Date
MagicThief-Final2.zipfinal
Finito! It can almost be described as a game now!
8.0 MB skaro 2006/09/09 23:48
batcountry.png
Attacked by Bats!
146.4 KB donal.h 2006/09/09 23:28
magicthief-final1.zipfinal
Still can't win, but playable to the end!
8.0 MB skaro 2006/09/09 23:19
magicthiefRC1.zipfinal
Rough final copy. Playable first level
7.8 MB skaro 2006/09/09 22:24
magicthief0.5.zip
Gameplay testing beta
6.3 MB skaro 2006/09/09 15:08
magic.jpg
very raw... but functioning!
31.6 KB skaro 2006/09/08 03:57

Diary Entries

Linux patch

So close...
It almost works on linux unchanged.
in engine.py line 195 needs to be changed from:
mapinfo.append((rname,posn,kwargs))
to
mapinfo.append((rname,posn,kwargs.strip()))

ohwell, not toooo bad for never testing on the platform.

2 comments

Yargh!

I just found a problem in main.py. It tries to import psyco.. If you don't have psyco, just comment out import psyco and psyco.full() bleh I was sure I had try/except blocs around that...

Add a comment

Coalescense!

Pfew, things are finally starting to gel a bit.. My insistance on rolling a new collision/sprite alignment system rather than using pygame's might be part of it ;)... although a good deal of concept is borrowed from Donal and I's last pygame adventure TrashVacHeroX.
Very little graphics so far... engine first, gameplay tuning, then resources...
time will tell if that's the right order.
Well.. some resources are in, our sound-man (and player sprite actor) came through in grand style, and the proof-of-concept player sprite is about half fleshed out.
so much more fun left though ;)

Add a comment

It is officially Thursday.

And, as I said previously.

PANIC! PANIC!

Why am I not further? I have so much to do!

Yeargh!

Ok, I have made leaps and bounds and half the slow was learning pgu , but still. We need to start creating game resources!

Add a comment

Dead end, moving on

After hitting a glitch with pgu's FileDialog (whether the glitch is with me or with pgu, I am not readily sure), I am scrapping its use (FileDialog, still using pgu) and moving to a cludge, why pick what you can hard code. This is a specific use utility, not general purpose, so hardcoding, though icky, is perfectly reasonable given the time frame. Maybe I'll have time to revisit the issue when time is not so fleeting.

Other than that, I have heard good things from Skaro about our game engine, so I figure we are making good progress. It's only Monday. I'll panic Wednesday, then think we're doing amazingly well on Thursday. Then it will be a full out fit of activity until the deadline.

So says I.

2 comments

Slow, but effective start

I don't feel like I've gotten much done, but I've thought a lot and I'm confident that we'll make some progress shortly.

I'm going to be working on a Resource Editor, then move on to a Level Editor.

While I'm mucking about with the utilities, Skaro will be engineering us a game engine. Once those tasks are finished, we'll figure out where we are and where we need to go.

My current task is figuring out pgu. Always picking new libs to learn at crunch time.

Add a comment

Toads in a toaster

Thaumaturgical topics totalled into single salacious submission with disappearance doubly dosed.
Seek a sultry sorcerer's second!
Acquire adventageous arcane artifacts!

Avoid alliteration always afterward!

Add a comment

Anticipation burns like CURRY

Can't wait! This will take my mind off of the 11 hour work-days! At least it did for the pygame.draw competition :)

13 comments