screenshot (final)

Mortimer the Lepidopterist

Mortimer the Lepidopterist
Complete your quest to become the world's greatest butterfly collector!

Awards


super fun!!!
Presented by Cody

Most Gloriously Deranged Theme
Presented by tartley

Give this entry an award

Scores

Ratings (show detail)

Overall: 4.3
Fun: 4.5
Production: 4.4
Innovation: 3.9

Respondents: 25

Files

File Size Uploader Date
lepidopterist-final2.zipfinal
Second final submission
7.2 MB Cosmologicon 2010/08/28 22:52
lepidopterist-final1.zipfinal
First final submission
7.2 MB Cosmologicon 2010/08/28 19:05
screenshot-final.png
screenshot (final)
142.8 KB Cosmologicon 2010/08/28 19:04
lepidopterist-pre2.zip
as of Monday night
306.9 KB Cosmologicon 2010/08/24 03:06
screenshot.png
screenshot monday night
234.6 KB Cosmologicon 2010/08/24 03:05
lepidopterist-screenshot.png
screenshot 1 day in
15.8 KB Cosmologicon 2010/08/22 20:07
lepidopterist-pre1.zip
18 hours in
600.8 KB Cosmologicon 2010/08/22 17:25
lepidopterist-pre0.zip
3.5 hours in
446.6 KB Cosmologicon 2010/08/22 03:47

Diary Entries

HTML5 port of Mortimer the Lepidopterist

Is now online at http://universefactory.net/lep/

Enjoy!

2 comments

Mortimer the Lepidopterist: Windows version

Finally available on my website! Enjoy!

Add a comment

Mortimer the Lepidopterist: postmortem

This was the closest I've come to completing my game idea for Pyweek, so I feel pretty good about that. In retrospect, it's easy to see why I was able to finish: by underestimating the amount of time I would have.

I was busy this week: packing Tuesday, moving Wednesday, then staying at a friend's house with just my netbook. Also I flew across the country Friday to attend a wedding on Saturday. I knew all this would happen at the beginning of the week, so naturally I had low expectations for getting anything done. That, combined with the fact that "caught" was the only theme I didn't have a good idea for, meant I picked something unambitious. I was able to get 95% of the game mechanics done by Tuesday.

It turns out that I was able to work on the game despite being on the road, and this let me add polish to the game for the last two-thirds of the competition. I think this ratio of one-third core mechanics to two-thirds polish was about right for me.

What did I learn this time around? Not a lot. However, I did stumble upon a solution to a problem I've had before. This game has a lot of text popping up on the screen, way more than any game I've done before (Sorry I don't have a scanner right now, but here's a photograph of my notes):



So, how do I write my label class so that I can ask for a label appearing 20 pixels from the bottom right of the screen that stays for the entire game, and also ask for a label appearing 100 pixels below the center that appears for 1.2 seconds, rises 10 pixels, and then disappears, playing a sound? And of course they have different fonts, font sizes, and colors. Usually when confronted with this problem I try to create a good, extensible constructor with tons of optional arguments that cover every possible need. This time around, I said "screw it" and did something quick and dirty.

Every type of label in that picture is a different class that inherits from the base class and overrides one or more of several static variables and methods: the variable "expiring" determines whether it disappears, the method "duration" determines how long it lasts, and the method "position(self, surf)" sets its position in terms of the surface. So I don't ask for a Label that appears in a certain place for a certain time; instead I ask for a ComboBonusIndicator, and all the specifics are contained in that class. It worked really well. I plan to do it like this from now on.

So, I feel like I figured something out. Whenever I do this, more experienced game makers explain either that this is obvious and everyone does it like this, or it's flawed and there's a good reason nobody does it like this. We'll see, but I know it worked for me. :)

Thanks richard, for another great competition! Good luck to everyone in judging!

2 comments

First final submission

I wanted to upload something in the middle of the week, but the game has been in various states of not-working, so I never got around to it. Oh well, there's still time for feedback now. If anyone finds any major bugs that I can fix, I can still upload a revised version. Enjoy!

Mortimer the Lepidopterist (first final submission)

4 comments

Catch as catch can

It's going all right so far, but I'm going to be pressed for time later in the week, so I might need to start thinking about cutting planned features soon. Still, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get something playable before long, so that's good.

New version

Controls:
nab: space
leap: up
twirl: space+up

1 comment

Our intrepid hero

Well, I wanted to upload something on the first night, so here it is. I didn't want to make the same mistake I've made in the past, of using placeholder art for the main character and only replacing it at the last minute. So, I started with the main character this time. Also, I have no idea where I'm going with this game, so killing a couple hours with Gimp seemed like the way to go.

As you can tell, this is going to be a highly intense, thrilling, action-packed game!

4 comments