A puzzle game where you have to bribe cops and write Python programs to break out of jail!
Despite explaining to the cops "everyone wears a balaclava to the bank" you keep inexplicably finding yourself locked in jails. Luckily there's plenty of materials around to bribe the guards with. If not perhaps you can make more? You may end up having to execute some of the characters the jail holds...
Can you make your way out to the redemptive grass?
Download and extract the zip and navigate to the folder and run these commands:
pip install -r requirements.txt python run_game.py
Python Prison was Built using Python 3.9.2 and pygame 2.0.1 and tested on the latest Python 3.9.4.
It was tested on Windows 10 and Linux Mint but not Mac OS because I don't have a Mac computer to test it on.
I have received reports it may crash around level 5 on Mac :(
- WASD/Arrows - move
- Shift - sprint
- Space - pull
- 1 - set the top left of the blue execution region
- 2 - set the bottom right of the blue execution region
- 3 - set the top left of the red output region
- 4 - set the bottom right of the red output region
- R - run the code contained in the blue execution region
- Esc - reset level
- M - toggle mute
- I - toggle info
- F9 - main menu
- F10 skip level (cheating!)
- F12 skip to sandbox (cheating!)
A full playthrough can be watched here - https://youtu.be/_z8lsIEQa9I - but be sure to try the game yourself first!
I wrote all the code and made all the assets for the game except for the following:
- Simple Slum font - https://www.dafont.com/simple-slum-g.font
- PT Sans font - https://www.1001fonts.com/pt-sans-font.html
- Oxygen Mono font - https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Oxygen+Mono
- "Blip rhythm loop.wav" by djfroyd - https://freesound.org/people/djfroyd/sounds/331679/
- "Party Pack, Horn Coil 01, Long, 01.wav" by J Inspector -https://freesound.org/people/InspectorJ/sounds/484267/
crab of approval
Presented by LargAnk
Final Game - only updated readme
Level 5 - Writing Code
Finished game with 10 levels
Level 3 - Bribing cops
Had fun in my first ever game jam
Everything is now done and tested. My biggest regret is I didn't have enough time to make more levels. Though here's a sneak peek of the last and hardest level "Pythonic Alcatraz":
This was my first ever game jam style event and I had a lot of fun! Though I really wish I had started coding sooner. I feel like I did almost nothing for the first few days and didn't get much sleep the last few days.
I hope people enjoy my game and find it unique. If anyone gets stuck on parts of it there is a full video playthrough.
It will be interesting to play all the other games.