Level 2

Super Shooter

Your evil twin has taken over the world! You must stop him. He has trapped you in the sky, with monsters to stop you from thwarting him! Do you have what it takes to escape?


Give this entry an award


Ratings (show detail)

Overall: 2.7
Fun: 2.7
Production: 2.9
Innovation: 2.6

30% respondents marked the game as not working.
Respondents: 7


File Uploader Date
2nd Final submission, should include compatibility with python 3.8
Anonymous4045 2022/03/27 23:18
Level 2
Anonymous4045 2022/03/27 18:30

Diary Entries

Day 1: Baseline and Asset Creation

Today I was able to both think of an idea and start making sprites for it. I'm keeping the majority of it a secret for now, but it essentially is a 2d platform shooter. I got all the assets for the main character, enemies, and bullets. I also got some mechanics working, like moving right/left and shooting. Tomorrow I should be able to get in jumping, some animations, and (hopefully) block textures for the floor/obstacles.

Basic demonstration of the game assets

Add a comment

Day #3: Walking Animations

Today I really thought I would've accomplished more, but the walking animation took a bit longer than I was expecting 😅 I think it was worth it though. I also got a turning animation working, so the player doesn't just teleport whenever they turn lol.

Tomorrow I should be able to get all the frames of the animation in the game, including the left-facing ones. That'll leave me 3 days to make the actual game instead of just graphics 😂

Animation: https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/media.pyweek.org/33/Anonymous/Gunner_Animation.gif

Add a comment

Days 4 and 5: Jumping and Terrain Generation

Didn't get the chance to make an entry yesterday, so I'll share what happened here.

Yesterday I finished getting all parts of every animation into the game. I also tried to make realistic gravity, but it didn't go so well...

Today I freshened up some sprites and made some things look much better. I also added terrain generation, and logic so the player falls if they aren't on a block. Unfortunately, there is no acceleration/gaining momentum while falling, so everything is quite obviously very linear. Maybe I'll come up with some way to make that better. I also got in some textures for blocks to stand on, which I think looks decent.

Tomorrow I really need to kick it into gear. The main thing on the list is making all the block textures, then making all the levels I can. This also means I need a way to store the level, which shouldn't be too terribly difficult (I hope). After all that, I need to add the actual main point of the game: the evil twin. I hope I can get all this tomorrow because if I don't, I'll be pretty behind.

After the (hopefully) grand success tomorrow will be, I would like to implement a health bar on each enemy and for the player. Then, I need to add in the simple ai to move the enemies towards the player. After that, I just need some sound effects and a sound track, both of which I will try to make myself.

New sprites and terrain

Add a comment

Day 6

Today I managed to make a breakthrough that allows me to create and save levels all inside the main.py file. It's become a secondary challenge for me to use the least amount of files necessary for literally no reason lol. Anyways, I also made it so the player can no longer clip through blocks above them by jumping through them. Additionally, zombies now have a little ai and deal damage to the player with a lil damage animation (blotting a red rectangle to the screen over the player rect lol).

I still have yet to incorporate the actual evil twin part, but I don't think that will bee *too* difficult. I also need to finish constructing all the levels. Should definitely be able to do that tomorrow.

Finally, I have the entirety of Saturday cleared for this lol. I should be able to fix any and all bugs, do some polishing and create sound effects and a soundtrack for my game. I'm also hoping to figure out how to use PyInstaller to turn my game into a single, stand-alone file.

Add a comment

Days 7 and 8

Whew. A lot has happened in the past 48 hours. I'll try to give a rundown here.

Yesterday, I worked a lot on polishing and optimizations. I also made all the sound effects and music.

Today was spent packaging files and making things compatible for the most people possible. I tried to do stuff with pyinstaller, but kept getting appdir errors on launch.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the game came out. I spent probably 20+ hours on it in total. If I were to go back, I'd change things, sure, but for a first pyweek entry, I'd say I did decently well. I went from making snake to pong to this 😂 

What I used to make the game:

Code development: PyCharm

Sprite creation: Piskel

Sound effects: Audacity

Music: Bosca Ceoil

Add a comment