Saturday Night Ninja - the disappearing clothes
Ratings (show detail)
Saturday Night Ninjas - final
A nice credits screen
Our first shot of the engine working...
Problems with the torrent
If you're getting an error like this:
File "H:\Shared\Games\pyweek_sep2006\pyweek3-all\SaturdayNightNinja\gui.py", line 1510, in interpreter for bgImage,time,titleColor,title,textColor,text,music in self.scripts: ValueError: need more than 6 values to unpack
it's probably caused by the torrent containing the wrong version of our game. Please use the link at the top of this page to download "snn-final.zip" and try that.An alternative solution is to use Escape to skip the cutscenes, but I advise you against doing that, 'cause you'll be missing one of the funniest parts of our game. :-)
Tips & Tricks
A few tips for our game:
- If you're playing for the tenth time, and you don't want to see the cutscenes yet again, you can skip them by pressing Escape
- The game requires a little patience, but if you still want to play rambo, all hope is not lost. If you're quick enough and press F10 anytime during the level before the "game over" screen appears, you can move on to the next one. You won't be getting any points, though.
- But don't be too quick to skip level 10, or you'll miss a little surprise. (Hint: it has something to do with today's date)
- The higher levels (after level 4) are too hard. This requires some adjustment with the level generator, not very hard (we would have done them if we had more time to play-test the difficulty)
- The line of sight is very tricky, and sometimes guard see you through strange diagonals. This is perhaps the hardest thing to solve (not because of programming, but because it requires good design to make it fun, predictable, and challenging at the same time)
- After dying you should have the choice to retry the level! This was supposed to be that way but didn't because of a stupid team communication issue :) (the problem of being a large team...)
- The ingame artwork could use some more improvements. The walk-cycle is quite ugly, and some extra decorations could make the game look better. We did not have time to improve this.
- Some levels could be designed to give a more puzzle-like feeling to the game. We had only time to make the tutorial, but more pre-designed levels would be a plus. However some random levels would stay there, because they increase replay value....
- Someone told us this is "Metal Gear"... I promise no one knew at the initial brainstorm when I proposed the "camouflage matching suits and walls" idea. Later after talking with Martin (one of the artist, who was not at the first team meeting) he mentioned the similarity, but we kept going forward