The numbers

System capabilities poll is closed, here's what I can see since this time last year:

To reach the biggest target, you should write for OpenGL (89% supported; I'm guessing most of the other 11% have it but don't realise it) and Linux (85% primary and "also-haves" combined). However, write for the lowest common denominator: only 52% of respondants claim to have any hardware shader support.

(log in to comment)


Thanks, alex!

BTW, for some other numbers... we now have 158 people signed up in 91 teams (the final count for last comp saw 191 people in 102 teams)


Personally, my Windows XP was on the machine because we bought it from the shelf - which at least here in Germany means, current version of Windows pre-installed.

However, I don't trust M$ enough to go with my own machine online.

If I ever need to get a new computer or want to go privately online, I am determined to go with a Linux-only machine (second, dedicated computer?). I definitely won't let Vista get into my home. But that is all hypothetical at the moment.

oupps where ware that pool?
Of course, when you say multithread you mean multiprocess, right?
ironfroggy: er, yes. Or lobby for a GIL-free Python ;-)
how can people not have shaders now day?
Based on the bug reports I got from my last Pyweek entry, it seems a lot of people (in this community) use integrated video chips -- ones that do not even provide a complete h/w GL 1.1 implementation, let alone shaders. I'd guess a lot of these are laptops, and also a number of Windows and Linux users never get around to installing real video drivers.
ironfroggy: Threads are also run in parallel in dual-core or other parallel machines, aren't they?
Tee: because of Python's global interpreter lock (GIL), all threads run on a single core or CPU. If you want parallelism, you have to go multi-process.