Day 4 and Day 3 - Core Challenges, Gamemodes, MenusI forgot to hit "Save Changes" on yesterday's diary entry out of exhaustion, and didn't realize until this morning. So this is gonna be quite a long post. I'll try to summarize as much as I can.
I added 3 different game modes, each with their own purpose and challenge.
- Classic Mode - The Default Game Mode where you can win by getting a certain number of cars to the exit, or by avoiding a certain amount of crashes for a certain amount of time.
- Survival Mode - This is a mode where you can have no accidents happen, or else it's Game Over. I'm planning on adding a local highscore board for times in this mode to see how you can "survive".
- Free Play Mode - Remember when I said each mode had a challenge? I lied, this one doesn't. This mode isn't supposed to be challenging. It's just supposed to be there for practice or just general messing around with the game.
I added almost all the UI for the game. I added the Main Menu, a mode select, a level select, a settings screen, and a [temporarily] blank how to play screen. I added fully functional buttons w/Keyboard Shortcuts just for fun. I added on/off sliders for the Settings Menu. I'm mostly done with this aspect of the game, so I don't really have to worry about it, so that's pretty great.
Of course, every game has a challenge, or else it's not fun. The challenges are just basic things like goals to win the level or penalties to stop you from winning the level, such as:
- Car Accidents (duh), you can be slowed down and penalized by them depending on the level/gamemode. Also, I added easier ways to track car accidents by putting a yellow "Warning!" symbol over the crashed cars telling you that they've been in an accident.
- Time Limit, you have to finish the level in a certain amount of time or else you lose, or you have to survive for a certain amount of time or else you lose.
- Unhappy Drivers, this is a new feature that I'm pretty proud of. When Drivers wait at a stop light for too long, an angry face will pop up over their car and if it grows to a certain number, your amount of time to complete the level will be penalized.
Other "smaller" things I added
- Fullscreen Mode
- Pause Menu
- I switched the Graphics for the Traffic Lights to a solid colored bar, to make it more apparent to what setting that light was in.
- Turning on one traffic light will turn on the one parallel to it (in the same lane).
- Buses, they're slow, they take up space, you don't like driving behind them, so of course I had to add them into my game, because why not?
- New cars, and I hope to finish all of them tomorrow as well as add motorcycles.
Okay that's everything I did today but I'm not done yet...
Things I plan to finish tomorrow (this is mostly for self-reference so I don't forget)
- Starting work on levels
- Start recording Sound Effects (except for a car crashing one, I don't want to re-create that)
- A better way of switching lights on and off.
- A better Level Select Screen
- Motorcycles with higher speeds. (mentioned above)
- Finish all cars.
- A name for the game. (That might be a good thing.)
Still not done yet. I still have screenshots.
This is the main menu:
This is a picture of Gameplay with indicators above accidents and unhappy drivers:
Okay now I'm done writing. I'm going to bed now.
(log in to comment)