F is for FamilyAfter a few hours of pondering, I've finally come up with my game idea, and its requirements.
- Short – There's a lot of entries and I want the reviewer to get all the fun the game has to offer in 5-10 minutes.
- Randomized – I've been thinking about developing an online dungeon crawling game, and I could use the content generation practice. This game, though, will not be online.
- Shallow UI – A good immersive UI can be pretty good production value. The next best thing is a well-themed small UI that just offers what you need to get going in the game. The worst of all is a bulky, buggy UI that hasn't been polished to fit the game.
- Simple graphics – I'm not a good artist, and I'm a terrible artist in a hurry. Let's take all the shortcuts I can take with the art and call it “artistic choice”.
- Not conspiracy related – Let's be honest, I expect that at least 1/3rd of the entries is going to be conspiracy stuff.
- Not sharknado – For similar reasons as above.
Because the theme pulls so strongly towards the conspiratorial mind, I decided to search a bit for inspirational quotes with the words “behind” and “behind + everything”, and a few interesting ones popped up:
- Nothing is ever cut-and-dried. There's anguish behind everything. - Paul Rudd
- Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape. - William S. Burroughs
- I demolish my bridges behind me - then there is no choice but forward. - Fridtjof Nansen
- Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten. - David Ogden Stiers
The actual idea:The quote about family is the one that hit me hardest, and second was the one about desperation. With that I'm tempted towards a short survival experience navigating dark areas, with creepy ambient audio (I'm happy to know a few places that just sound creepy so I can spend a bit of time attempting to record it) and monsters lurking around, following you based on the sounds you make. And you gotta find your family. So it's a pretty happy setting. :^)
(log in to comment)