Day 7 - It's a wrap
Day 6 was a bit of a downer. I tried to build a system for saving games, but I wanted it to tolerate slight changes to the script, which proved to be difficult. It sort of works, but I don't fully trust it - but then I'm changing the script all the time, which makes it really difficult to restore everything correctly. I was also feeling a bit tired of the script and lacking inspiration as to the puzzles needed for Acts 2 and 3. So I turned in early last night, and after 20 minutes of being in bed, the inspiration started to flow - so much so that I got out of bed to make notes of it all.
From yesterday's low, today was a lot more positive. I started with a solid idea of how the script was going to tie together. I spent the vast majority of the day building out the puzzles and the script, which hasn't changed significantly from day 1. There are some big set pieces in acts 2 and 3 that took a while to draw and write. The game was finally completable with about 3 hours to spare. So I quickly threw in some music and title screens, polished a couple of bits of art, and all too quickly I was out of time.
I didn't get the chance to write responses for that many combinations of objects that you might try, but I think don't think the puzzles are too difficult, so you'll have to try it and let me know.
As always there are things that I'd like to improve, but I think the game is fun, and funny, and I think that the core idea of having the game engine play a stage script is powerful, and the language is extensible. I've started thinking already about how I might pull some of this work out into libraries; some of my colleagues at work are inspired to build on it for their own projects.
Comments: (log in to comment)