Better, my lord, and worse

Well, I've made more progress than I expected. Rewriting of torn pages is working well, and I've created intro and credit screens and a nifty context-sensitive help system.

At the last minute I decided to hack up an automatic character image generation system so that I wouldn't have to draw about a hundred character icons by hand. While trying to test that I've discovered some nasty bugs in the floor layout algorithm, such as a propensity to put two staircases right next to each other so that you can get from the first floor to the third floor but can't get off at the second floor. :-(

Hope I'll be able to fix that up tomorrow morning.

Weasels are looking very unlikely at this point.