Title screen

Bot Uprising

A rogue AI has taken over anything resembling a weapon to exterminate anyone who tries to switch it off.


Give this entry an award


Ratings (show detail)

Overall: 3.0
Fun: 2.5
Production: 3
Innovation: 3.3

Respondents: 15


File Uploader Date
Willyfrog 2012/05/12 00:03
Title screen
Willyfrog 2012/05/11 08:52
wip day 4
Willyfrog 2012/05/10 17:57

Diary Entries

yesterday got some work done

Finally yesterday I could get a couple of hours to add baddies and shots, replaced all art that wasn't mine and got the background moving.

wip day 4
Next steps:
  • collision detection,
  • deflections
  • shadow casting from arm
  • title & ending screens
  • sounds
  • procedural roof and floor
  • more types of baddies

What will probably left out

  • boss fight
  • extension and retraction of arm, which would affect the shadow casted
  • make a proper animation for the arm not being cut in some angles

Add a comment

A bit blocked

I'm currently blocked, I know the algorithm I want to implement, but I can't seem to pull it out.
I have an arm with a plank at the end. This arm rotates around a central point. What I need now is to check for collisions with the "bullets". My algorithm is as follows:
I create a rect at (0,0)
for every bullet when it needs to check collision I do the following:
1 get the center (easy from the rect)
2 substract the position of the center of the plank (easy as well, as I have a distance and an angle)
3 apply a rotation matrix on the center point
4 create a rect from that point with size of the bullet
5 check collision between the (0,0) rect and the new one

I'm pretty sure I'm having problems rotating the point, but I have tried several approaches and all seem to fail. I'll get some rest and try again later.

If anyone wants to check the code. I've got it on Github
More direct code access in a gist .

The link for the gist is https://gist.github.com/2653909, I can't get it to work either T_T


Submited a pre-final

Tomorrow probably I won't have time to submit, so I'll do it now. Many things are not implemented, so I might do a couple of things after pyweek, but it'l depend largely on some other work I need to finish

What I had to left out:
- Other kind of bad guys. Artwork is there and most of the code is.
- Destructible Floor and Roof. Artwork is there, most of the code is there except for the dynamic generation and reflection
- Boss. Nothing is done. The idea would be to have a big switch behind him, and having to hit it with a deflected bullet to turn the AI off

-Better collision/deflection. It's mostly there, but having the y axis inverted and some other minor problems had taken up most of my time.

If I have some time tomorrow (which I doubt) I'll try to put up the destructible walls.

Overall I'm satisfied, first time with pygame and in a tough week and I got something playable. We'll see what happens next pyweek :)

Add a comment