Title screen

Aliens on My Lawn

This entry is going to be ambitious. Unlike the last attempt, hopefully this keeps my interest and results in some sweetness.

The game is going to be a top-down shooter. Gameplay will be simplistic, but fun. Hopefully the production value is pretty good, though.

Awards

Give this entry an award

Scores

Ratings (show detail)

Overall: 2.5
Fun: 2.7
Production: 2.8
Innovation: 2.1

9% respondents marked the game as not working.
Respondents: 20

Files

File Size Uploader Date
AliensOnMyLawn-1.0.zipfinal
Final version - all platforms
4.1 MB PrintStar 2009/05/02 18:44
title-shot.pngfinal
Title screen
122.8 KB PrintStar 2009/05/02 18:13
game-shot.pngfinal
In-game play
109.1 KB PrintStar 2009/05/02 18:12
alien preview.png
Alien Rendering
34.8 KB PrintStar 2009/05/02 01:54

Diary Entries

Final Up

This time around I left all the artwork until the last day. Bad move...

I'm pretty bad at the artwork, and its probably the hardest part for me. Having to do it all at once is like torture! I should have interspersed it a bit more.

I'm a realist, and I understand this entry has about zero chance of placing well. On the other hand, I met my goal of using some new tools this time around. I did throw together a little beat for the game using LMMS, and the aliens are all rendered and animated using Blender. My code this time around also is a bit more robust, and there are hints of how much more the game should have included (other weapons, other aliens, etc...).

I'm happy with the entry, though. Hopefully someone out there has a satisfying couple-of-minutes playing my game.

Add a comment

Friday Progress

Things have been so busy, I've been unable to get around to posting updates! The game engine is 100% running. I've got some nice menu music providing a beat, and everything seems more-or-less bugless. However, almost no artwork exists yet. Always leaving the hardest for last.

Add a comment

Wednesday Progress-To-Date

This is my first entry as I had been avoiding the site at least initially so that my idea would be original. Of course, it was an obvious one, so there are bound to be similar games. Anyway, at this point the game engine seems to be functioning. The play fields are drawing correctly, the enemies are randomly placed and run around nicely, and the player can move and shoot. Some major problems still exist, however, including:
  • junk in the yard, like a house, fences, etc.
  • scoring and status display
  • leveling up
  • menu
The list above only includes things that need to be programmed. No artwork exists yet either, which probably isn't a good thing. I'm really hoping to add some fun music of some sort as I recently discovered LMMS. However, I have a few free evenings coming up where i should be able to wrap things up in time. Or at least lets hope so.

I feel pretty good though that the game actually starts and runs. there's at least something to look at...

Add a comment