Final Screenshot

Shadow Embiggener

Hello I am new to Python and just seeing if I can make something for this challenge! I have only made one game before and it runs in console, for this I am dipping my toes into a proper game library with Arcade.

Embiggen your shadow to a cromulent size. This game plays like a SHMUP (shoot'em up). Shadow barriers will hurt your shadow if they come in contact so blast them away! If you lose your shadow, you lose the game! Collect power ups to embiggen your shadow. You win when you embiggen to 100%


Give this entry an award


Ratings (show detail)

Overall: 2.7
Fun: 2.7
Production: 2.6
Innovation: 2.9

Respondents: 12


File Uploader Date
Final Submission
Lanecrest 2023/04/02 12:58
Final Screenshot
Lanecrest 2023/04/02 12:58

Diary Entries

Day 1 - First pass at gameplay

So this is only my second ever attempt at making a game in python, and only my 4th attempt at any type of project act all. I don't expect this to turn into anything extravagant, especially as I work full time and am still a complete novice, but I am looking forward to my first ever PyWeek and what comes out!

After day 1 I am pretty impressed with myself that I actually got something functional happening with Arcade. The premise is to collect energy/radiation to make your shadow bigger to win. If your shadow is hit by too many "shadow rays" it will shrink and you lose, and if time runs out you also lose. The quicker you embiggen your shadow, the better your score :)

When I started this morning I had no plans or thoughts to lean into Simpsons references, but somehow shadow "embiggener" popped into my head, and now the win/lose screens are also Simpsons references.



1 comment

Day 2 - More cohesive gameplay

During the week I only have a few hours in the evening to work on this. Today I knocked out some extremely basic sprites and changed the controls up. The gameplay is now more like a shoot'em up/SHMUP, the goal is to protect your shadow as it embiggens by shooting the "shadow rays" with your energy blasts. The background also scrolls to give a better illusion for "movement" like a SHMUP. I sincerely hope I have time to have a better background made up, but the sprite is growing on me the more I look at it, haha

new gameplay

Add a comment

Day 3 - Just some refinement

Optimized some of the code. Added a title screen and sound effects (just using built in arcade resources). Gamelay is basically finalized (a SHMUP). Most of the rest of the week will be spent around trying to optimize hit detection and making better sprites...maybe

Add a comment

Day 4 - minor refinements

Tweaked some more of the game play, changed sprites a bit. The game still looks pretty crude and will probably be that way at the end of the challenge :)

I still want to try to work on making hit detection better/different, but as the week hits the half way point, I probably have less time to work on it in the coming days so even if this is as much as I did, I am pretty happy with what I learned during the challenge!

Add a comment

Days 5, 6, and 7

I was unfortunately unable to dedicate any time to working on the game over days 5 and 6, and on the morning of the final day I implemented some final changes. Nothing major unlike the first few days, but some of the sprite behavior was changed to make the game more interesting.

Overall I had fun with the challenge. I am pleased with what came out, for being my first attempt at making a game with graphics. I learned a lot and I am looking forward to future challenges where my skills will be further developed :)

Add a comment