Day 6: Collisions, lasers and terminals
My game is reaching its critical point! Today I implemented almost all the elements required to design the stages:
- Lasers: you can cross them, but they will give away your location (meaning: the grid scan will be faster and it will spawn enemies!).
- Terminals: you can crack them targeting one of four items (access: will open nearby doors, lasers: will disable nearby lasers, link: will restore your health, firewall: will add extra time to the grid scan). Each terminal can be used once.
Also the collision detection is pretty good, I'm happy with the character movement. I composed a bg music for the stage, and general sounds effects are already in place. I left sound for the last minute in my previous PyWeek and it was a very bad idea, so I'm trying to make everything at the same time, although it means I'm overall slower in the process.
Things to do tomorrow:
- Make the lasers and doors react to the terminals (link and firewall are already working).
- A "disconnected" screen (because you're out of link -enemy impacts-, because the grid scan got to zero or because you aborted the mission -you may need to do it if you choose poorly the targets to crack-).
- Enemy grid runners (important).
- 10 levels! I'll try to add a "overview" screen before each stage explaining your mission and it will work as a tutorial too (I plan to use Tokyo and Madrid stages for that).
Ok, that's enough for today. I think the game is looking good so far, I'm looking forward to finish it and see how it plays!