Is Certificate of Sponsorship and UK Partner Visa used for the same purpose?

The certificate of sponsorship is different from the UK partner visa. The certificate of sponsorship is given to the employer who seeks to employ a person from outside and it is their responsibility to provide for them for their stay in the UK and also ensure that they leave when their visa expires. On the other hand, UK partner visa are given to people who are joining someone who has settled in the UK legally.